Thursday 27 June 2013

A Quick Update

My writing has been keeping me very busy lately. I am keeping up with three blogs right now (including this one) and am working on three other pieces. One is a short piece on a survivor of the Holocaust. Another is an essay I hope to turn into a book about the three way connection linking and contrasting hard work, balance, and extremism. The third, which has been inspired by the book "Teammates Matter" which I just recently finished reading, is a handful of individual pieces of people who have positively influenced my life. With all of this being said, I have decided not to write multiple paragraphs about my lifestyle in Australia this week. Instead, I will update you in a much easier way, with bullet points. Here's a quick update, in a very random order:

  • My general manager's friend just moved out of the house. He was the loud one, which means its about to get a lot quieter around here. Our team just signed a guard from southern Australia who is moving up here and taking his place. This could give Jermaine and I another workout partner
  • My workouts have been going great. I've been on two-a-days, and occasionally three-a-days. I think I can say I'm in the best shape of my life right now. I can't wait for the season to start.
  • The other day I was doing a basketball workout at a park near an elementary school. A ten-year old aboriginal boy and his seven-year old sister came up and started shooting with me. We chatted and shot hoops for about an hour. I taught them some dribbling drills and some trick shots and they taught me some soccer moves. I find the aboriginal culture very intriguing here. It's crazy to think their language was once the main language of Australia, and now they are the minorities as is their language. 
  • I've seen quite a few fancy-looking fish over the past week during two visits to the beach. I also killed a cockroach yesterday and swallowed a bug while I was riding my bike today. Needless to say, I will now be breathing through my nose.   
  • The rear tire on my bike got loose and I had to take off the tire and tighten it back on. After a day with no ride I've got it back now. I imagine my legs will be in decent shape after riding my bike across the whole city for seven straight months. 
  • I found a track near our Stadium. I am allowed to use it whenever I want, so I was able to get some running workouts in today. I imagine I will be using it quite often when the time calls for running sprints, 400s, and 800s. 
  • Some more Australian terms: 
                    -They say "buggah" a lot. I think it means something along the lines of fellow.
                    -If you are scheduled to work you are "rostered."
                    -They call a bicycle a pushbike.
                    -They call a University a "Uni."
                    -A college is a high school over here. And a primary school is an elementary school.
                    -"Sook" is their word for crybaby.
                    -Candy is referred to as "lollies." 
  •  I was told by a lady that I have a very nice accent. That's a first!
  • I have not yet went swimming with the Crocs. It turns out it's a little more expensive than I thought so while I still plan on doing it, I am going to wait until I have a little more cashflow.
  • My body is officially on Australian time. When most of you wake up, I am going to sleep. I have been waking up early for workouts, but still am unable to fall asleep early. I've been staying up past midnight each night.
  • Today I went to a man-made beach right next to the ocean as well as a water park after my workouts.
  • I've been able to text friends with iPhone's which is very nice. I've also used the Tango app with a few people, and have stayed in touch with people via Facebook. I've even been able to keep in touch with Papa Joe, my old team Chaplain, via email. I also have now started talking to my brother via email. My family has  recently gotten into group Skype, so all of us can talk at the same time. Thank God for technology.
  • Through the grapevine I had a coach from a southern Australian team wanting my highlight film. After sending that to him I hope that might lead to a potential job for next year. My agent also told me he is looking into trying to find me a job in Southern Australia (hopefully in Sydney, or near there) next year. That news fired me up and got me inspired. Earning a job playing in Southern Australia will be my goal for next year (following this season).
  • I have my own Australian bank account now. 
  • I've watched rugby here more than I ever had in America. It's a big deal over here. I've gained a ton of respect for rugby players. You gotta be tough to play that sport!
  • They have SportsCenter over here which I'm very happy about. When I watched the NBA Finals I would be watching the games at 10:00 in the morning. Occasionally, I'll even catch a Tigers baseball game on T.V. I'm wondering if I'll be able to follow the whole college football scene or not.
  • I've found that only about half the people who ask me what part of the United States I am from know where Michigan is. I even tell some of the people that Michigan is the one that looks like a mitten and I hold out my hand. They then proceed to look at me as if I'm very strange. I thought everybody knew about the mitten.
  • I find myself asking people to repeat themselves often because I sometimes struggle to understand the very thick accents. I have also noticed that people ask me to repeat myself a lot. They too, struggle with my accent. I have to speak my words slowly. 
  • If I'm not riding my bike or running to an area, I'll be taking the bus which is 20$ for a week pass or 3$ for 3 hours. I've gotten used to the city and think I have the bus system down now. 
  • I've started reading a new book called "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne. It was my mom's book I believe. 
  • Yesterday I told myself I was going to write my next sports blog on vpsportsalk.com on baseball, but then ended up writing two more articles on basketball. I guess I just can't get away from it. 
  • There are quite a bit of bats flying around out here at night. Jermaine also killed a large spider out here the other day, and said he saw one of the Cane Toads out here, which are supposedly poisonous. I'm not trying to mess with any of the critters out here.  
  • I might be taking a side job to make a little extra cash helping young kids at an elementary/primary school. 
  • The heat can get pretty intense out here, and its still winter. For the most part though, its been very nice out and its definitely been bearable. I don't know how bad it will get in a few months, but people keep warning me. 
  • I've learned quite a bit about the Australian government, and how each territory in Australia has its own unique government. They do have a prime minister of the whole country, moreover, and the lady who held office in that spot was just overtaken by someone in her own party. It wasn't an election, but apparently people can overtake others of the same party at any given time. The people vote for the party, and then the party puts forth the person they want in charge. Yesterday, a lady (I don't know her name) was prime minister. Today, a man is prime minister (I don't know his name). And the elections for prime minister against the other party are coming up very quickly. I believe this happened because the party of the current prime minister didn't think the lady would stand a chance in the next election, so they got rid of her while they could. 
  • I've noticed there seems to be about ten malls in this city, and endless restaurants. The food scene is nice, and I did find Szechuan chicken, so I'm happy. 
  • I've decided I might make a trip to Bali, Indonesia in a couple months. It seems to be more financially doable than Fiji at this point. 
  • I have been asked to run a basketball camp out here, so I will probably be doing that some time in the next two months.  
  • Today was another day where I stopped and realized how blessed I have been. I am living the exact lifestyle that suits me. For three weeks all I have been doing is workout out, playing basketball, writing, enjoying the beach, and exploring a new city. I'd be foolish not to make the most out of this opportunity. 
  • That's all I have for now. Below is a picture I took today while walking around in the city, as well the court I found in the park:



No comments:

Post a Comment