Monday 7 October 2013

Bali Vida

     I'm sitting on a computer in Bali, Indonesia right now, waiting to get on my flight back to Australia. This has been the best trip/experience of my life. While I love to travel on my own, I met a number of Indonesians and even Australians in Bali who joined me for various touristic adventures. I also met Carlos, a native of East Timor and writer for the website Lonely Planet. He travels the world for free (because his company pays for it) and writes about the places of the world. There aren't many jobs better than that.
     Carlos is a speaker of four languages, professional writer, world traveler, and man of many stories. He is what they call a Renaissance Man. Having been to Bali four times before his current 30-day stay on the island, he was able to learn the routes and roads of Bali to a T. Therefore, he let me follow him as we rode motorbikes all over the scenic island. We discussed the life of a writer and embarked on journeys throughout the countryside of Bali. He helped me do some serious damage to my bucket list.
     During this seven day vacation of mine, I was able to ride an elephant, hold a python, watch a chicken fight, swim with sea turtles, go scuba diving, watch piranhas tear into each other, surf the Indian Ocean, para-sail, ride jet skis, hold a chimpanzee and other monkeys, and shop (bargain) for very cheap, among other things. I had the time of my life.
     Bali is a whole different world from anywhere I've ever been. As soon as I touched down I could tell I was in a new country. Though I am not going to write in detail about the finer specifics of my time in Bali, because I have to get my mind off vacation mode. My break is now over and although it was amazing while it lasted, I've still been itching to get back on the court. I can't be away from the game for very long without having withdrawals, and thankfully, I don't have to. This coming Friday the Rebels will be back on the hardwood to take on the Eagles.
     I'm looking forward to the matchup, and am anticipating a battle. I'll most likely get to guard my boy Buster (from Little Rock, Arkansas), who is certainly their best player. The Eagles beat us by one possession last time we played them, and Buster was gone in America, which will make this my first time playing against him. Prior to the season's start, Buster and I were workout partners to some extent (even though he plays with the opposition, he is still Team America). Needless to say, this should be fun.
     I have attached a couple of pictures from Bali along with the post, and for those who asked for them, there will be many more on my Facebook page. If you want to know more about the trip (which will probably mostly be my family) just Facebook or Skype me. Otherwise, I'm back in basketball mode.










No comments:

Post a Comment