Monday 15 July 2013

Driving: No Easy Task

     The other day I was relaxing with a couple of ball players out here at a friends pool when we all saw a snake the size of a human. That was enough motivation for us to leave the house, or as my friend's landlord said, "Get on up, and get on out!" So, we decided to take a road trip, and I was the designated (rookie) driver. I borrowed someone's car and was driving for a good hour.
     It was only my second time driving and its safe to say I was more nervous driving in the Darwin city traffic than I've ever been before a win-or-go-home playoff basketball game. Consequently, my hands were gripping the wheel nice and tight. I'm still not used to the wheel being on the right and the driving being on the left. Nor do I like that the wipers are on the left and the blinkers (or "indicators" as they call them here) are on the right. I definitely messed that up a couple of times thanks to muscle memory. The way we select either the right or left blinker is also the opposite from how its commonly done in the States. Nevertheless, had I been in the countryside, I would have been delighted to practice developing these new habits at the wheel. However, driving in this city is not my thing, especially when I don't know where I'm going and I've never experienced the roundabouts of Australia. It also doesn't help that drinking and driving is legal in the Northern Territory. Yes, that's right -- you are allowed to drink while you drive as long as your blood-alcohol content is less than .05 (no I will not be trying this). Therefore, the
percentage of dangerous drivers on the road is probably and logically greater than in the other states of Australia where opened alcohol containers are a major no-no. However, I did manage to get myself and the two others with me to our destination and back without getting involved in anything remotely close to an accident. I successfully stuck to the speed limit (which is measured in kilometers), filled the car up with gas (petrol out here), and eluded 100% of the numerous Aussie's diagnosed with road rage.
     Cars honking at one another in Australia remains a customary part of the status quo and is generally just as common as guys tweeting #turnup or girls Facebooking about how all guys are the same in America. Patience is clearly optional. I've heard a few hot heads yell at others for driving cautiously and impeding all rushed drivers from speeding. The usual seems to be, "You bloody prick, stupid idiot buggah, move outta the way!" Or the more sarcastic, controlled drivers demonstrating peaceful frustration succumb to asking a rhetoricle question: "Hey bloke, have you ever driven before?" What is most important for my own self-esteem is that no such questions were asked of me....at least none that I heard. I got around safely, and heard not a single horn honk my way. This means I can call driving experience number two something of a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment