Friday 5 July 2013

More Lingo & More About The Team

I thought I'd reveal a few more patterns of the native Australian tongue with you:

  • Mosquitoes are "muzzies" around here....and there are three different kinds of mosquitoes. The other day I went to a national park and saw 100 + red mosquitoes, but was not bitten by any. Thank God for that. 
  • If you take a nap you "have a sleep." 
  • Best friends are "best mates."
  • Australians do like to use the word "bloody." For example: "There's heaps of bloody crocodiles in the bloody ocean." 
  • "O's" are pronounced with an "au" sounds. I asked the general manager of my team if I could print out copies of something. He responds: "What? You mean caupies? You can go to Caupie Time to do that."
  • They don't ask if you've graduated from college, instead they ask if you've finished University.
  • "References" are "referees" out here. 
  • They use the word "whilst" in replace of "while."
  •  "Footy" is Australian Football. If you want to ask someone if they are going to watch the game, it's proper to ask, "Are you going to watch the footy?"
  • I still have yet to hear someone say "you're welcome." I find myself saying "no worries" now too, much like the Australians do. It's also rare to hear a "thank you." People love to say "cheers" instead (which I think I've already mentioned in a previous blog). I'm joining in on that lingo.
  • If a man has a wife he has a "misses." When Derek introduced me to his friend's wife, he said, "This is my friend's misses."
The Team:

I've gotten to know many of the players a little more. There are two guys from the Philippines, two Americans (Jermaine and I), one from Great Britain, and one from Indonesia might be joining our team. The rest are all from various parts of Australia (both southern and northern Aussie).

The two from the Philippines are Malix and Aldren. Malix is the perfect role player. He clogs up the middle on defense, rebounds the heck out of the basketball, and voluntarily sets screen after screen for our scorers. He reminds me of Ben Wallace back in his glory days when he was playing for the great Detroit Pistons, though Malix has a better offensive game in the post. Aldren can do it all. He posts up and he runs the wing. He's very versatile. The man's got footwork like the Black Mamba. He's one of those crafty guys who will throw three pump fakes at you and reverse pivot three times in the same possession. I like his game.

I've already told you about Jermaine's game and you all know me. Jermaine and I, moreover, just got another roommate. His name is Matt Fagg, from Southern Australia. He's a small forward who can also play shooting guard. His basketball IQ is very high. I already love playing with him because he's constantly moving on offense, and just knows how to play the game (which makes my job as point guard much easier). He loves to come off screens and shoot, but is not limited to a shooter. He can put the ball on the floor, and slashes as well.

Sam, who I've already mentioned, is someone I can officially label a shooter. He's our Shane Battier/Mike Miller of the team. I'm sure his stroke will help me rack up a few assists.

We've also just picked up a guy named Lucci. I have no idea what his ethnicity is. Some people tell me he's from Australia and some tell me he's from Indonesia. I'll have to clear that up with him. I'll call him a hybrid for now. But that dude can hoop. He's about 6'6, and is possibly our most athletic player. He can probably play any position on the court if asked to.

At guard, we also have Jarrod, who like Sam, is a shooter. He's a southpaw who can knock it down from deep. He can shoot, and he's not shy about it. The man likes to pull the trigger. He can play point guard as well but is more comfortable at the two guard position.

Needless to say, I've got weapons in front of me. I just need to come in and run the show and make everybody else better. Our team, which finished fourth in the division last year and failed to make the playoffs by one game, should get back to where it was a few years ago. Like I've already mentioned in an earlier blog post, our team won four straight championships before it slipped this year. It will only be a matter of time before we're right back in that position. The season is now less than a month away, and you know I'm counting down the days.



***I will probably give updates on the rest of the players I have not yet mentioned in a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment